Here’s how to create a stylish entertaining space – in 6 quick and easy steps.
If the thought of hosting Christmas lunch sends your pulse racing, you’re not alone. It’s no small task: there’s food to prepare, gifts to buy, decorations to hang.
Plus, both your house and your garden must be in tip-top shape. And if you’ve watched The Block this season, you might be feeling some pressure…
But rest assured, a visit to our nursery and gift store will make the job far less daunting.
With these 6 simple tips, your home will be the envy of the neighbourhood – even if you’re not a true green-thumb. The clock is ticking, so let’s get started.
1. Indoor plants lift a room instantly, adding texture and colour – and they look especially decorative on a stylish plant stand. What’s more, indoor plants are perfect for busy people – even if you’re a gardening novice – because they don’t require much attention. Ask our qualified horticulturalists for their valuable tips.
2. Add some gorgeous textured cushions from our gift store, for outdoor comfort on Melbourne’s warm summer evenings – or a soft cosy throw rug, for when the sun goes down.
3. Create a striking table centrepiece using a ceramic pot filled with eye-catching succulents. Pop a few scented candles on the table too, for extra wow factor.
4. Inject some colour into your table setting with a bright new platter, salad bowl or water jug, or take your pick from our beautiful range of printed paper napkins.
5. Vibrant-coloured plants add a festive feel to your garden – let our friendly staff advise the best options for your requirements. Plus, read Tony’s Tips to learn more about November planting. Remember, we stock top-quality plants at different stages of maturity, so rest assured that your garden will look great for Christmas.
6. No celebration is complete without irresistible food. Discover some creative new recipes from our range of tempting cook books, perfect for summer entertaining.
Before you head home, boost your energy levels at The Oaks Café with a freshly baked scone or a nutritious salad wrap, washed down with a café latte…or embrace the festive spirit with a sparkling wine!
Now you can rest easy, knowing you’re in control. No more heart palpitations at the thought of Christmas gatherings – it’s all in the bag.
So, visit Acorn Nursery in Surrey Hills and experience our huge variety of beautiful plants and homewares – there’s truly something for everyone.
Tony’s Tips November
- Vinca and New Guinea impatiens will add a burst of colour to your Christmas garden.
- Hibiscuses inject exotic tones throughout summer and autumn. Our high-flowering, more compact varieties are ideal for courtyard pots, or small garden shrubs. They’ll be available in store towards the end of November.
- Hydrangeas look spectacular during late spring/early summer – they love a sheltered position with plenty of compost in the soil, plus generous mulching.
- Now is the time to nurture your gardenias with Harry’s Gardenia Food, so they’re plentiful for Christmas.
- Treat buffalo/kikuyu/couch lawns with slow release lawn food.
- It’s basil-planting season. This aromatic herb is very versatile for Christmas entertaining – bruschetta, pesto or tossed through salad.